family

family

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Saint Patrick's Day

I love St. Patrick's Day. I love seeing green EVERYWHERE!
We had several traditions growing up that accompanied St. Pat's Day in my house.

Tradition 1
When I was a child a Leprechaun would visit my house each year and leave gifts for my me and my siblings. We would arrive home from school to find his footprints all over the house. We would each take turns picking up a foot. It was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow except it usually was coloring books, jewelry, or cds in my case. As my siblings grew out of the tradition, my parents continued it for me. By that time I knew what was going on, but I always looked forward to the hidden treasure. I never knew how they accomplished it, but they did. I guess that's the school teacher in my mom. I'd love to share this with my kids when I have them.

Tradition 2
My mom always made cornbeef and cabage. I didn't mind the cornbeef, but the cabage yuck! Cabage is the only downfall of St. Pat's Day. My mom still continues to make this meal ever year. Me, I've created a new food option on St. Pat's Day.

Tradition 3
David and I went on our "first date" on St. Patrick's Day 2003. It was a lunch date between classes and we ended up at Chipotle. I don't remember how we ended up there but we did. Maybe because it was classy fast food and if the "date" wasn't going well we could easily split. I'm glad that's not the way it turned out. Every year now we eat at Chipotle on St. Pat's Day. It's become our tradition. Last year I think we were lazy and didn't go out, but we managed to continue this for the past 7 years. Today David is in Chicago and I'm in DC. While we won't be eating Chipotle together, I've purchase my burrito in our honor our the first day of the rest of our lives.

2 comments:

  1. that's pretty adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think St. Pat's Day is my second favorite holiday. There's no expectations only fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...