family

family

Monday, December 05, 2005

my soap box

well over the last few days I have been confronted with some disturbing things. First the debate about whether or not to change the name of the tree here in Washington from the Christmas tree to the Holiday tree. When did we become so politically correct that Christmas has to be changed so that no one gets offended? I know this has been going on for some time, but it is really making me angry. I don't know many Christians that go around protesting other religion's holidays. I just think it's ridiculous! What is wrong with offending other people? We have gotten too caught up in not wanting to hurt people's feelings that we are willing to give up things that should be important to us?

Another thing that was brought up, even though I have heard this before, is that we need to dumb down our religion as to not offend others. What I mean by this is that in Sunday School, they are teaching kids how to talk to others about God. The first step is being their friend and then you bring them to church then there are a few other steps and after you have won their affection you really talk about God. Now, I know that I am guilty of doing this and it bothers me. But, the way that i see it is that children are innocent and they don't need to be taught to talk to others about God, because they just know how to do it. Why simplify the gospel so much as to taint it? I really have been confronted with we as Christians dumbing down the Bible so that it won't be offensive and that it can apply to everyone in certain situations. The Bible is meant to be offensive to those who don't Believe it!!! Not in a mean way, but in a way that it makes them feel uncomfortable. I know that not everyone will agree with me and I would really like to hear about it, because I am trying to wade through all this.

Some thoughts from church.
The average Christian is just as good/nice as the neighbor next door.

What will be your Biblical Legacy?
We are talking about traditions and legacies in our (SS class), and it was cool to realize that I am going to start making traditions. We were encouraged to write down what traditions or dates that were important to us and what we were going to do to perserve those traditions. They are also going to put together a booklet for us of everyone's traditions. Just a thought for everyone to do for new years!! This could be a resolution for you. If you needed any ideas.

2 comments:

  1. yes, I'll be back by MLK weekend!! Are you coming???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6.12.05

    Everytime I hear about snowstorms in the northeast I think about you. I hope the weather has been okay. You have some interesting thoughts the Emily Scott and I have been discussing lately. This is her first year teaching and it is amazing how much she has to think about things so that no one is offended. For example they had a "fall party" at the end of Oct and some parents (some of them Christian) were still offended. And Christmas - I bet you can't even say the word in school. I'm not all about having Christianity proclaimed at our public schools (I mean I wouldn't want to my kids made to say Muslim prayers or something either) but pretty soon there are going to be no holidays, no discussion of heritage and beliefs etc. etc.

    I don't know if that is exactly what you were getting at, but those are just some of the things that we have been discussing lately. I hope you are having a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...