family

family

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Whatever Weekend

As with almost all of my post, I start them one day and finish them several days later.

The heat did me in this week. We had 5 consecutive days of 90-100 degree weather. That was the second week in the past 3 weeks we've seen these temperatures. For a month known as May Gray it was definitely unexpected. Our rental doesn't have AC and it's poorly insulated so it's been a hot week.

Our city also faced many wildfires this week. On Tuesday as I was heading home from the zoo David called to tell me our area was being evacuated. I was in shock and scared.  Here's a photo a snapped on the way home. That smoke you see was coming from a neighborhood to the North of us. At one time 9 fires were ablaze across the city. Most schools were closed on Thursday and the schools in our neighborhood were closed Friday too. For someone who is used to snow days, I guess SoCal version is smoke days?? All fires except for one are out. On Saturday night, we could still smell smoke in the air. 


The area rallied support for those who were evacuated and for the first responders. Several YMCAs opened their doors and provided FREE childcare to those affected. A couple girlfriends and I wanted to help out by donating water, snacks etc but they had received so many donations they turned us down. I'm amazed at the outpouring of generosity in our community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...