family

family

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Tips for running/training for a marathon

My marathon training reminded me when I put my mind to something I can do it! Here are my Top 10 Tips I learned while training.

1. Do not schedule anything for the day after a marathon. However, as one marathoner said the day after, "I'm walking to work the kinks out". Walking on a treadmill will help to relieve muscle tension, even though it hurts.

2. Buy a Fuel Belt. I learned this the hard way, by exhausting myself and getting sick after a long run without drinking anything.
Stay hydrated, they say that for a reason.

3. You will lose at least one toenail.

4. Have two pairs of running shoes that you switch between.

5. Eat "gu" every four miles. There are good flavors out there. I prefer the PowerBar gel brand.

6. If you buy running shorts/skirts buy ones with shorts underneath instead of the underwear. They are much more comfortable. I prefer the skirts.

7. Make sure you use the restroom before your long runs, or make sure there is a restroom on your route. Nature will call.

8. Make sure you have an upbeat playlist to run to.

9. Have a running partner is a great asset, but running is a solo sport so training on your own is doable.

10. The satisfaction of completing the race is one of great accomplishment. One 1% of people have completed a marathon. Count yourself as one of the few.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...